Three miles downstream from Bewdley there is a town that did not exist before 1771. Stourport grew up where the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal met the Severn, and its arrival is the single most consequential thing that ever happened to Bewdley, because it happened somewhere else.

Until then Bewdley had the trade because Bewdley had the position. Goods came up the river from Bristol, were unloaded at the quay and went onward by packhorse into Wales and the Midlands. The canal changed the arithmetic overnight. A boat could now come up the Severn to Stourport and continue by water into the industrial heart of the country without anything being lifted onto a horse at all. Bewdley’s advantage had been that it was where the land route began. Once there was no need for a land route, that advantage was worth nothing.

The figures are brutal and quick. By 1797, a generation after the canal opened, seventeen regular trows a week were working between Bristol and Bewdley. Twenty-eight were working between Bristol and Stourport.

Why it went to Stourport

The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal got its Act on 14 May 1766, and James Brindley was appointed surveyor. The job was to join the Trent and Mersey Canal to the River Severn, and the line Brindley took ran south from Great Haywood down the valley of the Penk and then the valley of the Stour.

That is the whole answer, and it is a matter of ground rather than politics. The Stour meets the Severn at a spot that in 1766 held a hamlet called Lower Mitton and very little else. Follow the Stour and that is where you arrive. To have brought the canal to Bewdley instead, it would have had to climb out of the Stour valley and cross the higher ground between Kidderminster and Bewdley, which meant cuttings, locks and expense.

Brindley did not build canals that way. He is the engineer of the contour canal, the man who took a long way round rather than cut through anything, and the whole character of his work is the avoidance of heavy earthworks. Asking Brindley to lift a canal over the hills into Bewdley is asking him to do the one thing his entire method existed to avoid.

So the canal came down the Stour, the southern section from Compton to the Severn opened in 1771, and a town was built at the junction out of nothing. The rest of the line, northwards, opened the following year.

The stinking ditch

There is a story, and you will hear it in Bewdley, that Brindley intended to bring the canal here, that the townspeople dismissed it as a stinking ditch and sent him away, and that the town has been paying for its arrogance ever since.

It is a good story and there is no evidence for it. No contemporary source for that quotation has ever been produced, it appears in none of the town’s own histories, and the earliest versions we can trace are already secondhand. More to the point, it does not explain anything. The canal went down the Stour because the Stour was the way through, and it would have gone down the Stour whatever Bewdley thought about it.

What is true is that the town’s own Victorian historian believed something close to it. John Burton, writing in 1883, says that had the canal joined the Severn here the town “would no doubt have become a place of great trade”, and that instead “the inhabitants petitioned against the canal, and thus inflicted a blow on their town from which it has never recovered”. That is a rector telling his neighbours their great-grandfathers were fools, and it is where the local version of the story gets its authority.

Burton may well be right that Bewdley petitioned against the bill. Opposition to canal bills was completely routine, and a town of river traders had every commercial reason to object to a canal that would draw traffic away from the Severn. But petitioning against a bill is not the same as turning down a canal, and Burton was writing one hundred and seventeen years after the Act. He was recording a local belief, not a document.

Burton also notes, in his chapter on Wribbenhall, that Brindley “at first proposed making the basin of the canal here instead of at Stourport”. If that is right it is genuinely interesting, because Wribbenhall had good quays already. It is worth saying plainly that this appears in Burton and nowhere else in anything we have found, and that no plan or survey has been produced to support it.

The accurate version, then, is the unglamorous one. Bewdley did not lose the canal through pride. The canal was never coming, because the river that carried it ran into the Severn three miles downstream, and no amount of local enthusiasm would have changed the shape of the land.

What it did to the town

The decline was not immediate. Bewdley in 1800 was still prosperous enough to commission Thomas Telford and pay eleven thousand pounds for a new bridge. But through the early nineteenth century the freight moved to the canal network, the warehouses along Severnside emptied, and the carrying trade that had employed a good part of the town went quietly to Stourport.

Some industry held on. Brass founding continued and kept a national reputation. Pewtering, rope and twine, comb making from horn, and Samuel Skey’s chemical works up at Dowles all provided work. The population figures tell the story plainly enough: 3,671 in 1801, still 3,908 in 1831, then down to 2,905 by 1861 as people left for the larger industrial towns. It was not a catastrophe. It was a slow leak.

The Severn Valley Railway arrived in 1862 with a station on the Wribbenhall side and a branch to Tenbury two years later, but by then the pattern was set, and the railway was carrying goods for a town that no longer had much to send. It would be another century before Bewdley found a new use for its river and its Georgian streets.

The consolation

There is an argument, and locals make it with a straight face, that losing the canal was the best thing that ever happened to Bewdley. Stourport got the trade, the basins and the industry. Bewdley got left alone, and what it was left with was a Georgian riverside town that nobody had any commercial reason to knock down and rebuild. The quays that emptied in 1800 are the reason people walk along them now.